Brands and marketing
TikTok is a powerful tool for social commerce and an entertainment and shopping app in one.
- Neutrogena, a skincare brand, uses TikTok in order to combat skincare myths. The “SkinU”, a series classroom-style videos, was launched in September and will be available on Neutrogena’s TikTok Channel until 2021.
- In July, Vimeo teamed up with TikTok to create ads that support small businesses. Vimeo, the first video-software company to join TikTok’s Marketing Partner Program and offer small businesses all the tools they need for an effective TikTok advertising campaign, has created a series of ads that support small business.
- In November, the app launched a digital publication that highlighted helpful marketing strategies for brands to use in-app. The Roundup showcases the best brand campaigns on TikTok, and offers insights and notes that marketers can learn from.
Food & Drink
Climate Friendly Diets (#42).
Sustainability is a factor that consumers consider when choosing their next meal.
- AppHarvest is a startup that focuses on food security. It harvested its first crop this January. The app hopes to expand 11 indoor farms in Appalachia using hydroponic farming techniques by 2025. Martha Stewart is an important board member of the brand.
- Bivalve farming is being used by a group of farmers from Maine to grow sea scallops. Farmed scallops can be fed on plankton found in the sea water and even benefit mussel or oyster populations.
- The way people eat has been changed by a new eco-rating system. Foundation Earth labels let consumers compare the environmental impact their food has, rating them from A+ (excellent) to G (not good).
This year saw a continued growth in the skinification of hair, with new products and increased attention being paid to scalp care as if it were skincare.
- This year, hyaluronic acids have gained in popularity for their hydrating effects on the scalp. The Inkey List, a popular skincare brand, now offers a Hyaluronic acid Hydrating Hair Treatment that is safe for color-treated hair.
- In October, luxury skincare brand Augustus Bader introduced a hair and scalp care line that applied beauty science to hair. The brand applied their medical expertise to the hair industry, creating five new products that will be sold in beauty retailers and department store.
- In October, Dr. Barbara Sturm introduced a line of haircare products. The brand has expanded its skincare range and added a scalp serum. Three shampoos, a conditioner, four serums, and a hair mask have been added to their haircare line.
- TikTok held its first live shopping experience in December. Users and viewers were able to purchase directly through the app.
- Twitter hosted its first live shopping with Walmart event in November. The “Cyber deals Sunday” livestream was hosted by Jason Derulo.
- Pinterest TV is a livestream shopping show that started in November. The shows cover topics and industries ranging from beauty, retail and tech.