Small skewers with marinated meat are sold throughout Southeast Asia as street snacks. They are deliciously aromatic with coconut milk and spice, perfect for BBQ parties. Serve them with steamed or plain rice or drinks. Pork loin, tenderloin, and shoulder are all good choices. However, a marbled sirloin is better.
Featured in Satay is a restaurant favorite that can be easily made at home
Yield:12 small skewers
For the Skewers
- Pork loin, tenderloin, or shoulder, 1 1/2 pounds, cut into thin rectangles. ( 1/4 inch by 1 inch by 2 inches; you should get about 24 pieces.
- 1shallot, minced
- Two minced garlic cloves
- Ginger grated in a tablespoon
- Lemongrass, three tablespoons chopped
- Cumin seeds toasted and ground
- Coriander seeds, one teaspoon toasted and finely ground
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- Soy sauce, two teaspoons
- 1 Tablespoon brown Sugar
- 1/2cup coconut milk
- Cilantro leaves, and basil leaves for garnishing (optional).
For the Cucumbers
- Cut 1 pound of Persian or Japanese cucumbers into quarter-inch slices after peeling, halves, and cutting.
- Salt, 1/2teaspoon
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- Sugar granules two tablespoons
- About 1/4 cup of 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- Fresh Thai or Serrano Chiles sliced into rounds
For the PEANUT SAUCE
- 1 cup dry roasted, unsalted peanuts
- Two cloves of garlic, chopped
- Soy sauce one teaspoon
- Sesame oil two teaspoons
- Brown sugar, two tablespoons
- Fish sauce two tablespoons
- More to taste, two tablespoons of lime juice
- Cayenne pepper, 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/2cup coconut milk
- Prepare the skewers by putting pork in a bowl. Pour over the meat shallots, garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Add cumin, turmeric, cayenne, and coriander. With your hands, coat the meat well. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. While you wait, soak 12 bamboo sticks in water.
- Prepare the cucumbers. Put the cucumbers into a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Add sugar, lime juice, shallots, and chiles, and coat. Allow to stand for 15 mins. Transfer to a serving plate and check the seasoning.
- Prepare the peanut sauce by pulsing the peanuts in the food processor until they are finely ground. Process the coconut milk, cayenne, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and taste. Adjust seasoning. If desired, thin it with lime juice or a little water.
- Thread two slices of pork on each bamboo skewer. Keep the meat as flat and even as possible. Grill each side for 3 minutes over hot coals, under the broiler, or on a stovetop pan. Transfer the chicken to a plate and top with basil and cilantro leaves. Serve with cucumber relish, peanut sauce, and a dipping sauce.