Flatbread from the grocery store is the base of this delicious, primarily hands-free recipe that requires no hands. Simple and flavorful toppings add to a delightful flatbread that is quick and simple and even suitable for short entertainment: Oven-roasted mushroom adds the umami flavor, as do a two-ingredient miso heavy cream sauce and a mixture with Parmesan as well as mozzarella cheese.
To keep arugula in good condition and crisp, Add it to the flatbread of mushrooms when it has finished cooking, right before serving.
A few notes from Food & Wine Test Kitchen Food & Wine Test Kitchen
You’re looking for nicely brown, soft, ten, der, and tender mushrooms for this recipe. Examining your baking sheets for excessive moisture is an excellent indicator of the quality of your mushrooms.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms (such as oyster, beech, and cremini) Cut into small chunks (about seven cups)
- Six tablespoons olive oil, divided
- One teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- One large garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more as needed
- Two tablespoons of white miso
- 1 (16 1/2- x 4 1/2-inch) flatbread (such as Trader Joe’s Pizza Crust)
- 2 ounces low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Mix the mushrooms, 1/2 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in a preheated oven with a stirring now and then until the mushrooms are browned, about 25 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven. (Do not shut off the stove.)
- Stir garlic into roasted mushrooms; set aside. Whisk miso and cream in a small bowl until mixed. Set aside.
- Spread the flatbread on both sides with the remaining two tablespoons of oil. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 450°F until lightly toasted in about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Place flatbread on a plate and top with half Miso cream sauce. Layer on some of the mushrooms. Sprinkle with cheese and Parmesan, and top with the rest of the mushroom mix. Return to oven and bake at 450degF until bread is browned and cheese melts, about 6-8 minutes.
- Thin remaining miso-cream sauce and more cream if needed to achieve a drizzle-like consistency. Mix arugula with one teaspoon of miso-cream sauce in an oversized bowl.
- Spread arugula-based mixture on flatbread. Sprinkle additional pepper on top as desired. Cut into eight pieces and serve them with miso-cream sauce.