Chicken satay is a bit bland and dry in restaurants, but I still order it to eat as much peanut sauce as possible. Oh, but I had a vision. Dream to make a tasty, Thai-inspired chicken with coconut grilling and juicy meat suckers that complement the spicy peanut dressing. Achievement: Unlocked. From Cravings by Chrissy Teigen & Adeena Sussman. You can buy this book at Penguin Random House or Amazon.
Excerpts from Cravings by Chrissy Teigen & Adeena Sussman. Copyright 2016 Chrissy Teigen & Adeena Sussman. Excerpted with permission from Clarkson Potter, a Penguin Random House imprint.
PART 1: CHICKEN AND MARINAS
- 1CAN (14-OUNCE) FULL-FAT COCONUT MILK (NOT LIGHT)
- 8CLOVES GARLIC Mince
- 1/4 CUP FRESH CILANTRO LETTERS
- 2 TABLESPOONS LIGHT BROWN SUGARS
- 4 TEASPOONS KOSHER SALT
- 1 TABLESPOON GROUND TURMERIC
- 1 TABLESPOON Fresh GINGER Finely grated
- 1 TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN
- 1 Pinch (About 12 Pounds) CHICKEN TENDERS
PART 2: SATAY SAUCE
- 1/2 CUP Creamy Peanut Butter Preferably, avoid natural-style
- 1/4 CUP (Packed) LIGHT BROWN SUGARS
- 5 CLOVES GARLIC Mince
- 1 TEASPOON Fresh GINGER Finely grated
- 3 TABLESPOONS Light Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS SRIRACHA
- 1 TABLESPOON RICE VINEGAR
PART 3: FOR THE SWEET HOT PEPPER SAUCE
- 1/2 CUP SUGAR
- 1 TABLESPOON DISTILLED WHITES VINEGAR
- 1/2 SEEDLESS CUCUMBER
- 1 SHALLOT Finely chopped
- 1 JALAPENO PEPPERS OR FRESH THI CHILE Mince KOSHER SALT
Step 1: Marinate your chicken
Combine the coconut milk with the garlic, cumin, turmeric, ginger, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add the chicken tenders and cover. Marinate for up to 12 hrs in the fridge.
Step 2: Prepare the satay Sauce
In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter with brown sugar, ginger, Sriracha sauce, vinegar, and 1/4 cup of water. If you want a thinner sauce, add more water.
Step 3: Prepare the sweet pepper sauce
Combine the vinegar, sugar, shallots, and chile in a large bowl. Salt to taste.
Step 4: Cooking the chicken
Heat a grill pan or grill over medium heat. Let the excess marinade fall back into the bowl. Remove the tenders from the marinade. Thread each tender chicken on a skewer and grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Serve the chicken with satay and sweet pepper sauce.